Maker Challenge #10
There are so many things for your child to learn by completing our Maker Challenges. One week, the challenge might encourage your child to learn something new. The next week, s/he might create something useful. Sometimes the Maker Challenge just introduces a tool.
This week, the Maker Challenge is to make something fun and decorative - a pom pom! The nice thing about making pom poms is that they can be used in so many different ways. Make small ones to hang from a backpack, a car mirror, or a zipper. Make larger ones to play games with pets or to create a pom pom animal or monster. Since you can make pom poms out of different colors of yarn, even combining yarns in one pom pom, your pom poms can correspond to holiday colors.
Challenge your child to create a pom pom this week using the how-to video below our Maker Challenge of the Week.
PomPom Craft Tutorial
Here are a few important things to remember:
- The larger the tool you make, the larger the pom pom will be.
- It takes lots of yarn! The fatter your yarn wrapping, the fluffier the pom pom will be.
- Wrap loosely. If the tool bends, you are wrapping too tightly.
- Trim, trim, trim! Ideally, all the yarn pieces should match the shortest ones.
To register for this Wednesday's 3:30 KidsPlay Show & Tell Zoom meeting, where you can share ideas and projects with Educators Patty and Lois click here!
- Lois Logan, Exhibit Exploration Specialist